Wednesday 23 November 2022
09:30 Chair’s opening remarks
John Harrington, Editor, PRWeek UK
DELIVERING RELEVANT COMMUNICATIONS
09:40 Ensuring your communications are relevant - what can you learn from your colleagues in marketing about targeting?
- Segmenting your internal data to identify meaningful employee groupings
- What do targeted internal communications mean for inclusivity?
- How could your internal marketing colleagues help?
- What should be the relationship between internal comms and marketing?
Marghaid Howie, Global Head of Social Media and Continuity Communications, Thoughtworks
MANAGING STAKEHOLDER RELATIONSHIPS
10:05 PANEL DISCUSSION: Balancing act: what is the right relationship between HR and internal comms?
- Creating an effective working relationship between human resources and communications
- Should HR have more access to / exposure through IC than another stakeholder and vice versa?
- When should HR give the communications function space to do its thing?
- Clear reporting lines: exploring the pros and cons of different organisational and ownership structures for IC
Himangini Khanna, Global Head of People Engagement, Epidemic Sound
Jennie Rayner, Head of Internal Communications, Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities
Amy Devlin, Internal Communications Manager, Thoughtworks
Annique Simpson, Internal and Change Communication Specialist
11:00 Morning networking break
11:30 PANEL DISCUSSION: Managing executive communications - supporting your senior leadership team
- Ensuring consistency between your leadership’s external and internal communications
- Persuading leaders to reflect your desired culture and positive work life balance
- Encouraging leaders to be empathetic and vulnerable with employees, in a safe way
- Giving equal share of voice to different functions: Managing demands and expectations of senior stakeholders vying to broadcast their messages
- Staying objective - what does the business really need to know?
May Holloway, Head of Internal Communications, British Transport Police
Satnam Kaur, Director of Internal Communications and Engagement, Priory MEDIAN
Beatrice Ngalula Kabutakapua, Business Storytelling Coach and host of podcast ‘thank god it’s monday’
COMMUNICATIONS THAT HIT THE RIGHT NOTE
12:10 Revealing the state of play of internal communications post-COVID and what your employees really want from you
- Identifying changing perceptions of internal communications post-COVID
- How does the leadership's perception of internal communications differ from that of the rest of the business and what does this mean for you?
- Ensuring office and remote workers receive the same standard and frequency of communications from you
- Knowing your workforce better - the role of simplicity, segmentation and personalisation in modern internal communications
Nick Seymour, Editorial Director & Internal Communications Lead, Rostrum
12:50 Networking lunch break
14:00 PANEL DISCUSSION, LANGUAGE FOCUS: Getting your tone right: The pivotal role of language in internal communications
- Reflecting the culture of your organisation in the language you use
- Policing your language for inclusivity; as routine in everything you do
- Bridging potential disconnects between the language used by your senior executives and the language / culture of the organisation
- Finding a common language that works to engage everyone in the business
- Watching out for potential triggers within your language
Lottie Bazley, Internal Communications Consultant, Staffbase
Noha Al-Afifi, Director of Fundraising and Communications, Arthritis Action
Gabriella Santa Cruz, Communications and Engagement Manager, OPEN Health Communications
14:40 Conference chair’s closing remarks
14:45 Please grab a coffee and take your seat at our career development workshop designed for all levels of internal communicators.
DEVELOPING YOUR CAREER
WORKSHOP: Propelling your career forward in a way that's right for you: Where can a career in internal comms take you in the long-run?
- Inspiring your thinking about the future of your work and how it fits in with your life
- Why it’s good to "squiggle": Investing in your career development and gathering support
- Getting the balance right: Protecting yourself from over-working and getting burnt out
- Building the confidence to raise your profile as an expert internal communicator
- Creating your path to a seat on the board, if you want one, and practical steps to progress for all levels
Amy Watt, Founder, MegaWatt Coaching