The Unisys Security Index
In the digital age it doesn't make sense to separate on and off line communications. The Unisys Security Index campaign shows how Brands2Life works with clients to integrate traditional and digital media campaigns with in-house digital specialists working side by side with specialist PR consultants to extend the impact of an existing ‘traditional' PR property online.
The campaign implementation includes PR integrated seamlessly with online PR, search engine optimisation; online film production and website development to ensure messages reach as wide an audience as possible.
Launched in 2007, the Unisys Security Index provides a regular measure of consumer concerns about security. Based on research with 40,000 consumers in 14 countries, the results are launched to the media every six months to help Unisys demonstrate its understanding of security issues both globally and on a national level.
The challenge set to Brands2Life at the beginning of 2008 was to maximise the value of this initiative from both an online and offline perspective. Online the objective was to present the findings of this interesting study in a compelling way which would encourage journalists, customers and prospects to view the Security Index as a valuable resource.
2. Strategy and Objectives
At a senior management workshop at the inception of the campaign the following objectives were agreed.
- Build awareness of the Unisys Security Index to highlight Unisys capabilities in delivering secure business operations and to provide thought leadership within the industry
- Create a fresher, more intuitive, rich media experience through a Security Index web site that will encourage people to return to it time and again
- Optimise the site to improve search engine rankings - ensure that the site is found on the first page of search engine results returns for ‘security index'
- Help Unisys to use the web to communicate with stakeholders in an interactive way
In just five weeks, Brands2Life designed, built and launched www.unisyssecurityindex.com - a global website for the Index which provides a fresh, intuitive, rich-media experience. Visitors enter via an interactive world map that presents an overview of global trends. By clicking on any country, they can delve deeper into ‘local' trends for each of the 14 countries.
The design is highly visual, with key global and national results highlighted in 'dashboard' style graphics, supported by more detailed analysis. The site also contains videos, filmed by Brands2Life's in-house audio-visual (AV) team, with key Unisys executives giving their thoughts on the latest Index findings and broader security issues. The AV elements are supported by downloadable resources such as reports, white papers and press releases. A 'Speak to an Expert' function allows visitors to request to be contacted by a local Unisys representative, to help secure targeted sales leads.
The site has been optimised by Brands2Life's in-house SEO team to improve search engine rankings and is supported by a full analytics package so that traffic to the site can be monitored and tracked.
Brands2Life developed a bespoke content management system for the site allowing agencies in each country to quickly add content and insight relevant to their markets and refresh it whenever they like. Brands2Life has trained a total of 30 people around the world to do this.
The site gives journalists easy access to all the information they need when writing about the index or other security-related subjects. It is also now used as a reference point by sales teams when visiting customers and prospects.
The site has been updated every six months since launch when new Security Index findings are released, increasing the depth of information available and making it an ever more valuable resource for visitors.
Having provided the Security Index with an impressive online home, Brands2Life also works, in conjunction with the Unisys in-house team and other agencies around the world, to ensure that Unisys receives widespread and in-depth coverage in the media on the back of each report. For the three launches of the Index since launch, Brands2Life has drafted and sold in issues-based press releases, tying the findings into major security stories in the news such as data loss and the use of biometric technology.
On top of this, Brands2Life has also used the findings of the Security Index in all of its ongoing media relations work around security ensuring longevity for each set of results and presenting the Index as a reliable resource for the national, broadcast, security and IT trade media.
The results have continued to be exceptional since the launch of the report
- Over 7,000 unique visitors from all over the world since launch
- Over 27,000 page views since launch with an average site visit time of 3.65 minutes
- Google rankings - #1 for ‘Unisys Security Index' (previously a search for ‘Unisys security Index' led to out of date articles)
- Google rankings #3 for ‘security index' (page one) (previously Unisys was ranked #45 for ‘Security index' (page five)
- Over 1,000 news stories created by the Index since launch including major coverage on BBC Radio 4 and in The Guardian, The Financial Times and The Times