Name: Mi Liberty Limited
% growth in Tech Fee Income: -2
Ranking in Top 150: 105
Tech fee income 2008: £1,742,000
Total fee income 2008: £2,393,000
Total staff 2008: 20
Who is in the hotseat: Dee Gibbs, Joint Managing Director and Head of PR division
Sum up your agency's 2008 in three words: Best Team Ever!
Three best tech client or campaign wins:
1. The GSM Association (GSMA) for Mobile World Congress 2008 in Barcelona and Mobile Innovation Marketplace 2008, Atlanta GA, USA
2. Qualcomm CDMA Technologies for the European Innovation Showcase media campaign
3. i-mate™ for the launch of the 810-F ruggedised handset campaign at Mobile World Congress
Significant hires in the tech team in 2008:
All my team members are fantastic, but significant hires were:
1. John Ozimek, Associate Director and Digital Guru
2. Elena Dunn, Account Director, Mobile Content Team
3. Allen Montrasio, Regional Director, Italy
Staffing overall 2008:
Staffing levels remained fairly static in 2008 with a lot less flux and headhunter calls! The level of expertise of the staff is high and we also saw a lot of good people available in the marketplace, so 2008 was good for hiring and solid for Mi liberty.
Plans and predictions for tech PR in 2009:
1. Measurement and Results will be on the top of clients’ requirements more than ever before. Tech PR agencies should be looking at walking the walk and making the most of the technology they promote
2. The rise of digital – more offerings, some new specialist agencies appearing
3. Tech PR specialist agencies will likely look to diversification (operating in associated sectors, not just pure tech) as M&A activity and client conflict becomes prevalent
Tech business or brand to watch in 2009 and why:
1. Qualcomm is one to watch as it continues to innovate, particularly in the mobile computing space; on the other end of the scale, small start-up company, me2me, is working with several operators on some very clever voice-controlled services. If consumers take to them – and research shows that they should – then it could add a whole new dimension to how we use mobile phones to organise our daily lives.
Describe your agency’s digital offering:
Mi liberty has its own business division dedicated to the delivery of digital campaigns whether it be digital marketing or social media campaigns attached to a client PR campaign. A team of digital experts is available across the agency and on call to consult with clients about the best way to integrate digital aspects and more traditional communication methods to make campaigns stand out from the crowd.
How are you keeping up to date with social media:
Mi liberty has developed a portfolio of services around social media and are making a profit on those services today. Our ethos is to ensure that we choose the right mix of social media activities to compliment our PR and marketing services for clients. We keep up to date by using the services, but also by working with our internal digital team and external consultants on the subject matter on an ongoing basis to ensure we are still on the right track.
One thing you won’t know about the agency:
Mi liberty’s PR division began its life in a back bedroom. Dee Gibbs, the founder of the PR business left a high profile global corporate communications role on a Friday, launching Mi liberty’s PR business on the following Monday with one client. Thankfully, it worked!
Mi liberty is recognized for its technology PR skills in the mobile communications sector, but the agency also represents technology clients in other technology sectors, including enterprise IT, broadcast and entertainment.
Mi Liberty Team