Citigate edged out Brunswick to top the chart, but both firms benefited from representing either side of the month's biggest deal - Airport Investment and Development consortium's £9.7bn bid for Britain's largest airport group, BAA. Citigate advised the acquiring consortium, led by Spanish group Ferrovial, and Brunswick continues to counsel BAA.
Aura Financial made a rare foray into the table, coming third, following its work on metals group Xstrata's £7.6bn hostile bid for Canadian miner Falconbridge.
Finsbury, in fourth spot, dropped a place from April, but advised on the same number of deals (six). The agency benefited from its ongoing relationship with Vodafone, advising the mobile phone firm on its acquisition of Turkey's second-largest mobile operator, Telsim, for £2.4bn.
The Wriglesworth Consultancy's single deal was big enough to secure it fifth spot. Equitable Life's £4.6bn asset move of pensions contracts to Canada Life Financial was May's third-biggest deal. Wriglesworth handled Equitable's financial comms.
Financial Dynamics, which made an acquisition of its own this month with the purchase of Citigate's office in Dubai (PRWeek, 2 June), rose to sixth in May after working on 28 deals. The biggest FD-advised deal last month was Apax Partners' buyout of the Tommy Hilfiger Corporation.
Gainsborough's four deals saw it edge over the billion-pound barrier, placing it ahead of The Maitland Consultancy. The latter continued to slip after a bumper March, but advised on 15 deals.
Tulchan Communications and Hudson Sandler rounded off the top ten.
TOP 10 FINANCIAL PR COMPANY RANKINGS
01. Citigate: 15 Deals - Deal Value £11,276m
02. Brunswick Group: 12 Deals - Deal Value £11,215m
03. Aura Financial: 4 Deals - Deal Value £8,765m
04. Finsbury: 6 Deals - Deal Value £7,475m
05. The Wriglesworth Consultancy: 1 Deal - Deal Value £4,600m
06. Financial Dynamics: 28 Deals -Deal Value £1,678m
07. Gainsborough: 4 Deals - Deal Value £1,173m
08. The Maitland Consultancy: 15 Deals - Deal Value £898m
09. Tulchan Communications: 5 Deals - Deal Value £792m
10. Hudson Sandler: 3 deals - Deal value £785m
Source: ZEPHYR published by Bureau van Dijk