Joining the PPA in February 2018 as graduate, Owens has grown to become a respected and trusted colleague at the organisation - integral to its public affairs successes and invaluable to its membership.
The PPA said she was built her reputation on "a rare blend of style and substance". This has been seen in the past year by her work on the PPA’s lobbying objectives in response to COVID-19.
Her achievements over the past 12 months alone include:
• Driving the PPA’s engagement agenda with Parliamentarians, Whitehall and third-party stakeholders as part of the successful #AxeTheReadingTax campaign, which removed VAT from digital publications at the Budget in 2020 and delivered significant cost benefits for PPA members;
• Leading the drafting and renegotiation of the PPA’s responsibility deal between publishers and Defra to align with current policy objectives;
• Engaging with consultants to deliver research reports into the use of alternative materials for wrapping magazines and public attitudes toward sustainability in the children’s magazine market;
• Hosting various online and in-person roundtables, including a session on magazine packaging, and chairing a panel discussion on sustainability in a post-lockdown landscape;
• Consulting with Royal Mail to represent publishers’ interests on an initiative for an environmental mailing discount;
• Presenting on how HM Treasury’s plastic packaging tax due to be implemented in April 2022 will impact PPA members.
"Amy's work on the zero rate VAT status of digital publications, #Axethereadingtax, the plastic packaging tax and representing the publishing industry's interests during COVID-19 clearly demonstrates the value she is bringing to the PPA. She appears to be a highly motivated and successful PA professional at a very early stage in her career."
Sam Winter, account manager, Grayling