Two explosions occurred at the airport this morning, with Belgian broadcaster VRT reporting that at least 13 people have been killed and 35 wounded.
The airport’s Twitter account sent the first tweet about the incident following the first blast soon after 7am GMT, urging people to stay away. This was followed up with further information, including contact details for people worried about friends or family.
There have been 2 explosions at the airport. Building is being evacuated. Don't come to the airport area.— Brussels Airport (@BrusselsAirport) March 22, 2016
Don't come to the airport - airport is being evacuated. Avoid the airport area. Flights have been cancelled.— Brussels Airport (@BrusselsAirport) March 22, 2016
All airport operations have been suspended until further notice. Follow the information on our website.— Brussels Airport (@BrusselsAirport) March 22, 2016
Questions about family or friends > Call 02/753.73.00— Brussels Airport (@BrusselsAirport) March 22, 2016
There were later reports of another explosion at Maalbeek metro station, near Brussels’ main EU buildings. The city’s public transport system has been shut down, and this fact has been communicated via social media in French, Flemish and English, from the city’s transport operator:
Meanwhile, Eurostar is among other transport companies updating the public on the situation. The operator has publicised that it is not running trains to or from Brussels:
UPDATE: No trains are currently running to or from Brussels Midi. Brussels customers are advised to postpone, and not come to station.— Eurostar (@Eurostar) March 22, 2016
Our thoughts rest with anyone affected by the unfolding events in Brussels - we are closely monitoring & will update.— Eurostar (@Eurostar) March 22, 2016
Following the blasts, the Belgian government has said it is raising the terror threat level from three to the maximum of four. Prime minister Charles Michel tweeted in French that his government is following the minute-by-minute situation, and the "absolute priority" goes to the victims.
Nous suivons la situation minute par minute. La priorité absolue va aux victimes et aux personnes présentes dans l'aéroport @BrusselsAirport— Charles Michel (@CharlesMichel) March 22, 2016
Federale regering volgt de situatie op de voet. Absolute prioriteit gaat naar de slachtoffers en naar de hulpverlening op de luchthaven.— Charles Michel (@CharlesMichel) March 22, 2016
The Beglian police federation has also been relaying information and advice, in different languages:
Don't call. Use texting or social media. Network is getting saturated #Brussels— CrisisCenter Belgium (@CrisiscenterBE) March 22, 2016
No public transport. Stay where you are, also in schools, companies, ... Contact crisiscenter: 1771 #Brussels— CrisisCenter Belgium (@CrisiscenterBE) March 22, 2016
UK Prime Minister David Cameron has tweeted his sympathy for the victims and said he will hold a session with COBRA, the Government’s emergency committee.
I am shocked and concerned by the events in Brussels. We will do everything we can to help.— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) March 22, 2016
I will be chairing a COBRA meeting on the events in Brussels later this morning.— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) March 22, 2016
A number of people have called for Facebook to switch on its Safety Check feature, which had previously been deployed after terror attacks in Paris in November, in order to help people in the area reassure friends and family.
Outrage after Facebook doesn't turn on Safety Check feature for Brussels https://t.co/MrP1RHyIMT— The Independent (@Independent) March 22, 2016