1. Rolling Stone retracted its November story about a supposed gang rape at a University of Virginia fraternity after the Columbia Journalism Review released a scathing investigation into the disputed piece on Sunday night. It found that the magazine failed to do even basic fact-checking on the report before it was posted. Rolling Stone’s top editor apologized on Sunday, but no magazine staffers will lose their jobs as a result of the debacle.
3. President Barack Obama made his case for the deal the US and other Western nations put in place with Iran in a detailed interview with The New York Times’ Thomas Friedman that posted on Sunday. Deal critic and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appeared on Sunday morning talk shows to oppose the framework, saying it threatens his country’s position in the Middle East.
4. Dish Network streaming service Sling TV apologized to users after it malfunctioned during Saturday night’s Final Four games. The company issued a mea culpa via Twitter.
We're sorry some basketball fans saw errors tonight due to extreme sign-ups and streaming. Engineers rebalanced load across network partners— Sling Answers (@slinganswers) April 5, 2015
5. Sarah Brady, the widow and activist partner of late former press secretary James Brady, died on Friday. Brady and her husband became gun-control crusaders after he was shot during an assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan in 1981. James Brady passed away last August.
6. Fox News’ Chris Wallace apologized over the weekend for comments he made about singer Kelly Clarkson’s weight. Colleague Greta van Susteren had called out the Fox News Sunday host for being insensitive.
7. University of Kentucky guard Andrew Harrison said he was sorry on Sunday after jokingly using a slur about University of Wisconsin star Frank Kaminsky in a post-game press conference after his team lost in the national semi-finals. Kaminsky told reporters that it’s no big deal. The national final between Kaminsky’s Badgers and Duke University will take place tonight.
First i want to apologize for my poor choice of words used in jest towards a player I respect and know.— Andrew Harrison (@DrewRoc5) April 5, 2015