1. Fans checking Twitter for the latest fantasy football news on Sunday probably noticed the #BoycottNFL hashtag, one of many protests of the National Football League’s handling of domestic violence cases.
Here’s a wrap-up of the latest on the NFL’s reputation crisis:
- Embattled Commissioner Roger Goodell did not show up at the Sunday Night game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Chicago Bears, the first at the 49ers’ new stadium in Santa Clara.
- Women’s advocacy group UltraViolet hired a plane to fly over MetLife Stadium on Sunday with a banner reading, "Goodell must go" as the New York Giants lost to the Arizona Cardinals.
- Ray Rice is planning to appeal his indefinite league suspension on Monday, according to numerous reports.
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) says congressional hearings on the NFL’s handling of the Ray Rice incident are possible. Her colleague, Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, said on CNN Sunday morning that NFL players are role models and suggested Goodell should resign.
2. Hillary Clinton appeared in Iowa on Sunday, home of the first presidential primary contest, and acknowledged she’s "thinking about" a second run for the White House. In 2008, then-Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign surprised many with its performance in the state, fueling its run to the Democratic nomination. Former President Bill Clinton was peppered with questions from reporters before his appearance at the event.
Heineken family rejected SAB Miller takeover offer: Bloomberg http://t.co/DvFsXP3rcW— Reuters Business (@ReutersBiz) September 14, 2014
4. Alibaba Group’s pre-IPO investor roadshow had a tense stop in Hong Kong, where investors are upset the company decided to go public in the US instead of on a local exchange. Executive Chairman Jack Ma told investors there on Monday that the company wants to expand in Europe and the US. Investor relations experts talked with PRWeek last week about why the investor roadshow remains critical in the social media age.
5. The UK’s Queen Elizabeth II has weighed in on Thursday’s Scottish independence referendum, saying voters should "think very carefully" before pulling the lever. Investors are also worried about the many implications of the vote.
6. Lufthansa pilots at the airline’s Frankfurt hub are planning to strike on Tuesday, citing improvements they want in the company’s early retirement package.