Army general hires MWW as he faces sex charges

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ: US Army Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair and his attorneys have retained MWW to provide media relations and communications strategy support as he waits to hear if he will face a court martial over a slew of sex-related charges.

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ: US Army Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair and his attorneys have retained MWW to provide media relations and communications strategy support as he waits to hear if he will face a court martial over a slew of sex-related charges, a source familiar with the situation said.

This past fall, Sinclair was accused of having a forced sexual relationship with a woman. He is also accused of exchanging inappropriate email and text messages with four other women.

He faces charges of forcible sodomy, wrongful sexual conduct, violating orders, engaging in inappropriate relationships, misusing a government travel charge card, and possessing pornography and alcohol while deployed.

In early November, a hearing on evidence was held in the case against Sinclair at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.

He served as deputy commander in charge of logistics and support in Afghanistan from July 2010 until he was sent home in May 2012 because of the allegations.

As of Friday, there was no update on whether Sinclair will indeed be charged, said Col. Kevin Arata, XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg public affairs officer, via email. If convicted, Sinclair could face up to life in prison.

It is unclear if MWW is preparing Sinclair and his attorneys for increased media interest in the coming weeks. Since news of the charges broke, only his wife, Rebecca Sinclair, has done press rounds. The source was unable to comment on whether MWW is also representing her.

Mrs. Sinclair's media tour has included an op-ed in The Washington Post, several print interviews, and an appearance on the CBS' This Morning.

Her messaging strategy has been two-fold, with the goals of raising awareness about the effects of long-term military operations on spouses and poking holes in the credibility of some of her husband's accusers.

If the military formally charges Sinclair with any allegations that imply rape, the firm will launch an aggressive outreach effort, according to a source familiar with the situation. As part of the hearing proceedings, hundreds of text messages and journal entries came to light that show the affair was consensual, the source said.

Contact information for Sinclair's legal team was not readily available. MWW did not return a request for comment on whether it is representing Sinclair.

Last month, the women involved in the Petraeus sex scandal hired crisis PR firms to help weather the media storm.

This article was updated on December 14 to clarify the charges against Sinclair and with more information about the firm's strategy.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in