As a best practice, ask these questions if you’re planning any kind of activity that may involve people who work in Congress or the White House administration:
• What is the threshold for registering as a lobbyist?
• What kind of gifts are allowed under the rules?
• What menu items are permitted at your event?
• Can you hold a contest, a raffle, or a giveaway?
• Can you give incentives for conducting research with Washington insiders and Hill staff?
Remember, it’s always better to err on the side of caution. No one has ever been fined for being too careful.
Pam Jenkins, president, Powell Tate, Weber Shandwick’s Public Affairs arm