Democrats pass key vote of healthcare bill

The healthcare bill passed a crucial round in the Senate this weekend with Democrats tallying 60 votes in favor of the legislation.

The healthcare bill passed a crucial round in the Senate this weekend with Democrats tallying 60 votes in favor of the legislation. 

If the bill is passed - the vote is set for Christmas Eve - health insurance companies will face new limits on how they spend customers' money.

Specifically, the bill would require that 85% of large group plans be spent on medical care and quality improvements. The remaining 15% could be used for marketing, claims, executive salaries, sales commissions, and profits.

The 5%  tax on cosmetic was removed although a provision that would tax tanning salons 10% was added. The Senate bill no longer includes an option for a government-run plan.


Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Explore further