Tiger Woods finally speaks to reporters, media still not satisfied

Disgraced golfer Tiger Woods conducted two interviews Sunday night, one with ESPN and one with The Golf Channel.

Disgraced golfer Tiger Woods conducted two interviews Sunday night, one with ESPN and one with The Golf Channel.

As news reports addressed Woods' requests to limit interviews to five minutes, The Associated Press reported March 22 that Ari Fleischer, who reportedly was working with Woods, had "acknowledged in an e-mail to The Associated Press that he had been working for Woods and had decided to withdraw."

ESPN has a wrap-up of the two interviews. Some PR professionals, such as Howard Bragman, are saying Woods' communication is "too little, too late." ABC News interviewed Bragman and ESPN's Mike Tirico, who said Woods' re-entry into golf at the Masters Tournament is a "logical choice" because "the amount of control the Masters provides."

"It's the most controlled setting," Tirico said. "The only people inside the ropes at the Masters are the contestants, the caddies, the rules officials and a couple of the cameras that throw the TV pictures. By and large, compared to a regular PGA Tour event, it's a more pristine environment. Less distractions."

Others noted that Woods' restrictions around the interviews were a tell-tale sign that he is still not being transparent with his communications.

ABC News sports contributor Christine Brennan said the format of the interview – five minutes, standing only – was telling.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Would you like to post a comment?

Please Sign in or register.