1. “If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible... tonight is your answer.”
Barack Obama in his acceptance speech on election night.
2. “I think he is a transformational figure. He is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage.”
Colin Powell, endorsing Barack Obama for president on NBC's Meet The Press.
3. “You know what they say the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull is? Lipstick.”
Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) making her debut for most Americans at the Republican National Convention.
4. “You campaign in poetry, you govern in prose.”
Hillary Clinton quoting former New York governor Mario Cuomo on the campaign trail.
5. “I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.”
President Bush explaining why he stopped playing the sport.