1. “The country is groaning and moaning and screaming for change.”
Bill Clinton, getting a little too explicit in explaining the need for a new administration.
2. “The fundamentals of the economy are strong.”
John McCain on September 15, what has now come to be known as Black Monday.
3. “It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right next to, they are right next to our state.”
Sarah Palin, trying to validate her foreign policy experience in an interview with Katie Couric.
4. “A man I'm proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States – Barack America!”
Sen. Joe Biden introducing his running mate.
5. “They cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”
Barack Obama comments on small-town Pennsylvanians during Democratic primary season.