Since Apple set the bar for downloading music with the iTunes Music Store, companies everywhere have been positioning themselves to get a piece of the digital media pie. Wal-Mart's move to undercut the going rate for downloading a song raises the question of just how lucrative this space will be. Apple's hit with the iPod Mini reaffirms the company's digital media leadership, but it may need a boost in computer sales to emerge from its financial funk as a star.
MOST FREQUENT MESSAGES
1. Strong US demand causes Apple to delay international debut of the iPod Mini
2. Apple stock rises on news of strong US demand for the iPod Mini
3. Wal-Mart launches online music store, undercuts iTunes with $0.89 downloads
4. Sony and McDonald's in talks to launch music downloading service
5. Apple on track to sell 70-75 million songs by the end of April, short of its original goal
- Based on 84 global business media articles from March 22-March 31.
Evaluation and analysis by Biz360.