Southwest Airlines soared into Philadelphia recently, initiating regular routes to key cities across the US and sparking excitement and fanfare from Philly to southern New Jersey.
Southwest's feel-good TV ads reflect the city's optimism about the growth potential of business and tourism. While national papers focused on the competitive threat to traditional airlines, major market newspapers focused on travelers' excitement about new low fares for business people, as well as those visiting families and friends at the last minute.
Most frequent messages
1. Increased competition lowers fares
2. Air traffic in Philadelphia will increase
3. Southwest poses a great threat to US Airways
4. Travelers have a cause for celebration
5. New era of competition for airline industry
Based on 170 articles appearing in major US media outlets from May 9-14
Evaluation and analysis by Cymfony