Despite earlier skepticism, the media in the days before the Olympics' opening ceremony reported that Athens was not only ready for the Games, but that it promised a surprise of "epic proportions" to celebrate.
Most media coverage surrounding the event showed optimism regarding ticket sales, tourism, and safety. A few major papers stressed that the athletes are not letting fear get in the way of their celebration. In fact, the 2004 Games mark the biggest security operation in sports history.
Most frequent messages
1. Opening day is surrounded by mystery and myth
2. Athens is the safest place to be
3. Games rejuvenate the human spirit
4. Games mark the evolution of human consciousness
5. Games epitomize ancient values and culture
Based on 35 articles from major US media outlets appearing between August 9-11
Evaluation and analysis by Cymfony