On the heels of the recent Dan Rather reporting incident, a leaked internal memo from ABC's political director Mark Halperin offers reporters guidelines on how to report factual distortions by President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry.
Do these separate incidents prove the argument that the mainstream media is biased against conservatives? In the week that followed the leaking of the memo, journalists debated the issue in print columns and roundtable TV discussions.
Most frequent messages
1. Halperin's memo called Bush's distortions worse than Kerry's, and coverage should reflect it
2. Conservatives are up in arms about the memo; mainstream media has a liberal bias
3. The memo was ill-advised/embarrassing, but revelatory
4. Memo was leaked to Drudge; due to technology, everything that is internal is external
5. Memo quoted NY Times article that noted Bush's campaign as having greater transgressions
Based on analysis of 18 news items that appeared in national print and broadcast media from Oct. 8-14
Evaluation and analysis by Delahaye Medialink