The tables were turned on the media recently when an independent panel released its findings regarding CBS-TV's preparation and reporting of a disputed story about President Bush's National Guard service.
The story, which aired during the later stages of the presidential campaign between Bush and John Kerry, used documents purported to be from the 1970s showing that Bush had received preferential treatment during his time in the Texas Air National Guard.
Most frequent messages
1. Based on panel findings, four CBS News employees, including three executives, have been fired
2. The panel identified 10 serious defects in the preparation and reporting of the story
3. Dan Rather and CBS News president keep their jobs, with Rather still planning to retire in March
4. Les Moonves, co-president and COO at Viacom, feels that appropriate actions have been taken
5. The White House feels that CBS has taken the right steps to hold people accountable
Based on analysis of more than 12,000 radio and TV broadcast news programs from January 10-13, 2005 Evaluation and analysis by VMS