Detroit profits from dollars 1 m in casino biz

DETROIT: The Greektown Casino, opening November 10, has begun a major pre-opening PR campaign that includes media relations and charity events spotlighting the casino's ties to Native American and African-American communities.

DETROIT: The Greektown Casino, opening November 10, has begun a major pre-opening PR campaign that includes media relations and charity events spotlighting the casino's ties to Native American and African-American communities.

DETROIT: The Greektown Casino, opening November 10, has begun a major pre-opening PR campaign that includes media relations and charity events spotlighting the casino's ties to Native American and African-American communities.

The casino is the last of three to open in Detroit over the past two years. The arrival of casinos in the Motor City has meant annual PR fees of dollars 750,000-dollars 1 million for the six Michigan PR firms they've hired (see PRWeek, August 16, 1999).

Greektown casino's PR firm, Rossman Martin & Associates, has begun sending out 500 media kits to news outlets within a one-day drive of Detroit - the market from which the casino hopes to draw visitors. The firm also is preparing a VNR, has already held a Detroit media tour of the new facility and is planning a major charity event November 8, said Roger Martin, agency president. Several local TV stations are talking with Martin about broadcasting live from the opening.

The charity night black-tie event will raise dollars 225,000, which will be given to a local African-American museum, a Detroit youth education program and The North American Indian Association of Detroit. The casino is 90% owned by the Sault Ste. Marie tribe of Chippewa Indians. Eight local African-American investors own the other 10%.

The casino is using the tagline 'Saving the best for last' in PR efforts and playing up its location, Martin said.



Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in