Condit still silent on missing intern

WASHINGTON: Rep. Gary Condit (D-CA) and his staff maintained their

media silence last week in the face of snowballing reports romantically

linking the congressman with missing Washington intern Chandra Levy.

As the case of the missing 24-year-old entered its eighth week, all

press inquiries to Condit's office seeking comment not just on Levy, but

also on matters such as his home state's energy problems, went

unreturned. Meanwhile, the pressure to speak publicly has increased.

In a departure from its normally supportive stance toward the

congressman, The Modesto Bee, Condit's hometown paper, ran an editorial,

which said: "Condit would better serve his constituents by squarely

facing the public and its questions."

Levy's parents, meanwhile, continued their massive media campaign to

help find their daughter, who has not been seen since April 30. Handling

PR for the couple is The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward


Executive director Kim Peterson said that she and her assistant have

been coordinating the entire media campaign - an undertaking that has

yielded widespread national coverage over the past two months.

Peterson, a third-grade teacher with no media experience prior to

joining the group, said that no PR firms have come forward to help.

However, she said that she would consider all offers.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Already registered?
Sign in