SAN FRANCISCO: Agency leadership restructurings have dominated the news in San Francisco recently, with GCI Group, Burson-Marsteller, and Edelman all bringing in new senior management in the Bay Area.Meanwhile, Hill & Knowlton has once more slashed its local workforce, laying off 11 of its remaining staff in San Francisco. Nine people remain in the office.
Jeff Raleigh, GM at H&K, has also left the firm to pursue other projects, according to Ron Hartwig, chairman of H&K in California. Kevin Elliot will serve as manager, reporting to Hartwig, and the agency will look for a replacement GM.
Richard Rice, formerly GM of H&K's San Francisco office, has been hired as president of the local GCI outpost. Rice left H&K in February.
"I think GCI offers some interesting opportunities and approaches to the way of doing business,
Rice said. "That is a real challenge in the Bay Area."
GCI recently laid off Martin Alintuck, San Francisco office MD, as well as Dianne Gleason, chair of the global tech practice, and was in talks with Wilson McHenry before it closed.
Meanwhile, Burson-Marsteller promoted Heidi Sinclair to chairman of the global tech practice, based in London. The move is part of the agency's plan to expand its global operation, even more crucial since the firm won the worldwide brief from tech giant SAP.
Burson has also promoted Albert Durig, currently chairman of the Latin American tech team, to Sinclair's previous position of US tech practice chairman. He will transfer from Miami to San Francisco.
And Edelman has hired Nicole Russell as EVP and GM of the San Francisco office. Previously, Russell was SVP in the local office of FitzGerald Communications.
Alison Wertheim, formerly GM of the office, has been named Edelman's Western region practice leader for reputation management.
THE BAY AREA SHUFFLE
- Albert Durig: formerly chairman of the Latin American tech team, promoted to chairman of US tech practice out of San Francisco
- Heidi Sinclair: formerly chairman of US tech practice (based in LA), now chairman of global tech practice out of London
- Nicole Russell, formerly SVP at FitzGerald Communications in San Francisco, named EVP and GM of Edelman's San Francisco office
- Alison Wertheim, former GM of Edelman's San Francisco office, named western region practice leader for reputation management
- Richard Rice, formerly GM of Hill & Knowlton in San Francisco, hired as president of GCI in San Francisco
- Dianne Gleason, chairman of global tech practice, and Martin Alintuck, MD of the San Francisco office, were laid off last month
HILL & KNOWLTON
- Eleven staff members laid off in San Francisco office, nine remaining
- Jeff Raleigh, formerly GM at H&K, has left the firm - Kevin Elliot named interim office manager until a new GM is found.