How do you come up with fresh marketing ideas?
We brainstorm among the team. We also show as much as we can to our external agencies to make sure they are inspired by our brands.
What is the main marketing challenge you face?
Competition from other films, as well as other forms of entertainment, such as video games, combined with budget cutbacks.
What are the perks of the job?
We get to watch films during working hours.
Is there a dress code?
No - except for premieres, of course.
What is the company like for training and career progression?
We are a small company, but part of a global one, so there are definitely lots of oppo-r-tunities for career development.
Does the marketing team socialise outside office hours?
Yes - we can often be found in our local, The Crown. We also organise plenty of company socials such as urban golf and pub quizzes.
Describe the marketing team in three words.
Professional, multi-talented and fun.
What about the salary and benefits package?
Everyone gets paid. We don't quite make everyone work simply for the love of it.
Are there any downsides?
Sometimes the stars are not what you'd like them to be.
Is there anything interesting about the inside of your office?
We often have life-size cardboard cut-outs from films in the foyer, so occasionally people think we are a cinema. Although we do actually have one in the basement.
- Paramount Pictures UK is based at 12 Golden Square, London W1A 2JL.
- The company employs 32 staff, of whom 11 are marketers.
- Its annual UK marketing spend is more than £30m and last year its gross box office takings were £134m.
- Paramount's market share was 17.1% for the period from January to 2 November.
- Its releases this year include Madagascar: Back 2 Africa.
- Chris Hedges is managing director; Deborah Sheppard is marketing director.
This article was first published on Marketing