Tesco is offering some comfort for the Sunday title, stating it will continue to advertise – despite heightened calls for leading high-street brands to boycott advertising in the NotW.
Tesco, which spends around £1m a year on ads in the Sunday tabloid, is waiting for the allegations against the NotW to be investigated before making a decision. Until this point, it will continue to advertise.
Tesco’s stance differs from its rivals ASDA and Sainsbury’s, both of which axed plans to advertise in the tabloid's pages.
Sainsbury’s previously said it was reviewing its options.
ASDA, which said it only spent £34,000 a year on its ads in the paper, has also stopped running ads.
An ASDA spokesperson said: "We understand people’s concerns and reiterate that we have no plans to advertise in the News of the World."
Morrisons- – the remaining one of the big four supermarkets – said it was reviewing its options.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk