Mediaweek reports that on September 29, the second annual Urbanathlon took place in New York City while Time Inc.'s Health held its Here Comes the Sun yoga festival at Central Park's Rumsey Playfield.
These two events add to the growing number of health and wellness events that hope to engage readers and advertisers through sponsorship opportunities. Veterans in this arena, such as CondŽ Nast's Self, which promotes its annual Workout in the Park draws some 12,000 participants from New York, Chicago, San Diego, and Miami.
Sponsors of the Self Workout in the Park include American Laser Centers, Asics, Botox Cosmetics, Crystal Light, GNC Live Well, and Naturalizer.
Why does it matter?
These events become an opportunity for brands to set up kiosks and actively reach out to consumers by inviting them to partake in activities like UV screenings and makeup trials, like Lanc™me did recently.
"We have everything from fitness classes, beauty and wellness consultations, food tastings, samplings, and charity partners on premise to disseminate information and garner support," says Yung Moon, associate publisher of creative services for Self.
Events deliver face time between consumers and brands. They also introduce consumers to new products. "If it's about product sampling, they're delivering products directly into the hands of 12,000 consumers," Moon notes. "[And] if it's about generating a database, we have sweepstakes participation."
1. This year, Self's Workout in the Park was presented by the Ford Edge, with ticket proceeds going to the American Legacy Foundation, Cancerandcareers.org, Fertile Hope, and Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
2. According to the Mediaweek Monitor, health/fitness titles' ad sales look robust; In women's publications, pages rose 11.2% year over year through October.
3. The National Association for Health and Fitness has named the third Wednesday in May National Employee Health & Fitness Day to promote physical activity.
4. NBC-4 is holding its 15th Health & Fitness Expo next January 12-13 at the Washington Convention Center. It will include attractions like a golf driving range, indoor soccer field, and a climbing wall.
5. For the past six years, Meredith Corp.'s Fitness has staged the Mind, Body, Spirit Games races - a qualifier for the New York City Marathon - in Central Park. This year, the event drew more than 5,000 runners.
This article was first published on PR Week USA