MoD press chief speaks out over Harry video

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) director of news has said his main concern with the Prince Harry video footage was that racial abuse could be seen as an 'endemic problem' in the armed forces.

Buckingham Palace: response to Harry video
Buckingham Palace: response to Harry video

MoD director of news James Shelley liaised with Clarence House assistant press secretary Miguel Head over Saturday and Sunday, as Prince Harry’s response was provided to the media.

Shelley told PRWeek: ‘My primary concern was ensuring that the initial story was not taken out of context and presented as indicative of a more endemic problem within the armed forces. We have a very good working relationship with Clarence House and discuss a variety of issues regularly.’

The Equality and Human Rights Commission has today called for the forces to end its ‘barrack-room culture', following coverage of Harry's racist language.

Head was formerly a press officer at the MoD who made the move following last year’s media blackout around Prince Harry’s mobilisation in Afghanistan.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Would you like to post a comment?

Please Sign in or register.