Resonance, a social media agency headquartered in Shanghai focusing on digital relationships reviews how Ray-Ban worked with a large network of artists to significantly increase engagement with core audiences across Chinese social media during the brand’s Never Hide campaign.
Launched in 2007, the Never Hide brand platform has been a recurring campaign that promotes the eyewear maker’s independent, creative, and authentic voice. Over the years, different iterations of the campaign has placed an emphasis on musicians and artists.
In 2014, Ray-Ban’s challenge was bringing awareness and equal emphasis to eight different products all under a single message, but directed to eight distinct outlooks on life, experienced by it’s young target customers.
Ray-ban needed to refresh its Never Hide message for core consumers while still attracting new audiences and developing higher rates of engagement on China’s digital and social media.
Ray-Ban’s Never Hide Your Talent initiative emphasized buzz generation on China’s social media platforms to drive consumers to engage with eight mini-campaigns and learn about the brand’s diverse product offerings through eight material themes ranging from steel to velvet.
- To launch the campaign, Ray-Ban created custom apps on Weibo and WeChat that encouraged users to share their own Never Hide manifestos in order to create an authentic voice on Chinese social media.
- Ray-Ban partnered with eight celebrities and digital influencers to provide an inspirational message for each material theme and reach relevant audiences across music, art, fashion, film, and travel, which was further amplified by extensive KOL retweet support.
- Weibo and WeChat mini-games supported each theme and drove social sharing. A concerted effort to leverage popular activities, such as personality tests and photo sharing, also helped boost awareness across the networks.
Throughout the course of the campaign, Ray-Ban achieved:
- Over 70,000 engagements (likes, comments, retweets) across its owned social platforms.
- From key opinion leaders and media partners, Ray-Ban received over 50,000 engagements across partner social accounts.
- For viewership across each of the campaigns, Ray-Ban received almost 40,000 sponsored engagements on Weibo, over 31,000 Weibo app participants, 233,000 views on Youku, and over 27,000 embedded views across Douban and QQ.