Business Wire changes submission policy following hoax press release incident

NEW YORK: Business Wire has implemented a new policy that requires clients to submit news releases through a proprietary system, following the news that a fraudulent release has been submitted using e-mail.

NEW YORK: Business Wire has implemented a new policy that requires clients to submit news releases through a proprietary system, following the news that a fraudulent release had been submitted using e-mail.

The FBI is investigating the incident, the company said. The fraudulent release, which went live June 18, was purported to be from Javelin Pharmaceuticals.

The incident follows last week's report that PR Newswire had distributed a fraudulent news release, which stated that President Obama was investigating General Mills' supply chain. Both releases were posted late at night.

Neil Hershberg, SVP of global media at Business Wire, said the company previously allowed clients to submit news releases by e-mail in rare instances. He added that an “overwhelming majority” of Business Wire's clients use BW Connect, a proprietary order-entry system that was launched in 1998 and allows only authorized users to file releases into the company's editorial system.

“The Javelin release was an isolated incident,” said Hershberg.

Business Wire said it planned to require news release submissions through BW Connect in August and the incident led to early implementation of the new policy.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Would you like to post a comment?

Please Sign in or register.