ICF SCMD: Agency Business Report 2011

In early 2010, ICF SCMD fully integrated with the communications group from Macro International, which was acquired by ICF International in April 2009. Kris Tremaine, head of ICF SCMD, says the move essentially doubled the division.

Principal: Kris Tremaine, SVP and head of ICF Strategic Communications and Marketing Division (SCMD)
Ownership: ICF International
Offices: Fairfax, VA; and Rockville, MD
Revenue: $36,764,913
Headcount: 210

In early 2010, ICF SCMD fully integrated with the communications group from Macro International, which was acquired by ICF International in April 2009. Kris Tremaine, head of ICF SCMD, says the move essentially doubled the division.
 
"The synergies of what both groups have to offer together helped propel our growth and prepare us for future growth," she adds.
 
The division, which serves as the PR and communications arm of ICF International, has eight practices: health; energy, environment, and climate; emergency management and homeland security; defense; transportation; internal communications; social programs (housing, education, justice, and human services); and international.
 
Government work pays off
Last year, global revenue was up 8.4% at ICF SCMD, which saw a 75% rise in growth organically with the other 25% attributed to new business. Tremaine says growth was seen in the eastern US in federal and commercial energy, health, environmental, and emergency management work.
 
"A significant amount of our work is with the federal government and, of course, they're here, we're here," she explains.
 
Health particularly saw growth due to the addition of Macro, which primarily deals in that sector. Tremaine says energy has always been a key industry for the division, which handles a variety of communications for utility companies looking to get customers to become more energy efficient.
 
In emergency management, one of ICF SCMD's biggest clients is FEMA. After this past March's nuclear disaster in Japan, the division is leading FEMA's efforts to reassure Americans that the agency is prepared if something similar occurred here.
 
Major account wins
Some key account wins last year included the Department of Defense's quit tobacco campaign, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's national diabetes education program, and the United States Agency for International Development's Zambia behavioral and social change communications program. No key accounts were lost in 2010, according to ICF SCMD.
 
Staff at ICF SCMD increased to 210, up 8% from the previous year, Tremaine says. Besides the division's two US offices, staff is also dispersed throughout ICF International's 42 offices.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Would you like to post a comment?

Please Sign in or register.