After 35 years, the last Monday Night Football (MNF) game aired on ABC on December 26, 2005.
The first MNF game pitted the New York Jets against the Cleveland Browns on September 21, 1970. According to USA Today, "during the telecast of the New England Patriots versus the Jets, MNF took viewers down memory lane," with clips of MNF record holders and those who became overnight stars. Next year, MNF moves to ESPN, while NBC shows the NFL's Sunday night games.
Most frequent messages
1. The Jets lost by the same score - 31-21 - in the first and last Monday Night games
2. The final broadcast opened with MNF's most recognizable voice ever, Howard Cosell
3. Patriot linebacker Mike Vrabel was the surprising offensive star with two touchdowns
4. Big-city ratings for the final MNF game on ABC fell 11% from the previous year
5. When MNF first aired in 1970, there were no sports on the air during the week
Based on 105 stories in US newspapers between December 27-28, 2005
Evaluation and analysis by Cymfony