• Tightening the belt: A look at blog conversations around the key words “holiday travel” found that fares are top of mind, no surprise given the economic recession. Eleven percent of influencers are talking about fares and consumers are searching for travel deals in the blogosphere.
• Planes, trains or automobiles? BuzzLogic looked at holiday travel with “air,” “car,” “train,” and “bus,” to see what was the popular mode of travel according to the blogosphere. From the total number of posts, it looks like more consumers will be driving to their holiday destinations this year, with 15,523 posts discussing travel by car, followed by air, train, and bus, respectively. If you are one of those people who plan to travel by car, influential blog Ask Patty has posted tips for traveling with children, infants, and pets. If you're sending your children off to travel with relatives or friends, influencer FamilyResource has some tips for keeping them safe.
• Take to the skies: We weren't surprised to see that Cheap Airline Tickets News is one of the top influential blogs on the subject of affordable air travel. Another influential blog, Star Telegram's Sky Talk, posted the Air Transport Association's prediction that air travel will drop 9% compared to last year, citing a falling demand for global travel as one of the causes. The Consumerist also discussed the low flight demand this holiday season, but pointed to the fact that while demand is low, fares are still high because airlines have tacked on extra fees.
• If you've decided to forgo travel this holiday season, bloggers still have advice for you. Influential blog Diet, Dessert and Dogs offers healthy recipes for holiday treats and brunch. Maybe you will need to escape the holiday chaos, and if so, the Celebrity Baby Blog's top kids movie pick for the holiday is Celebrity Baby Blog. And, if you are spending time with your family this holiday season, The Happiness Project offered tips for getting along with difficult relatives on Thanksgiving, which can be applied to any other time the family is together.
While consumers are cutting back on travel plans, there are still opportunities for PR pros to engage people with cost-effective travel and holiday deals. We may be tightening our belts, but we still love a good deal.
Evaluation and analysis by BuzzLogic's Insights. Insights determines blog influence by factoring more than a dozen criteria, including posting habits and linking activity. This information is based on the analysis of 48,167 blog postings from November 15 to December 15, 2008.
Have you registered with us yet?
Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletinsRegister
Already registered?Sign in
Join a growing community of PRWeek comms professionals today
- Read more articles each month
- Sign up for free specialised news bulletins