NEW ALBANY, OH: Abercrombie & Fitch denied that its decision last week to discontinue its A&F Quarterly was a move prompted by the spate of negative PR the catalog seemed to earn the company. The catalog featured nude models.
"More than anything, it is time for new thinking," said Thomas Lennox, director of IR and corporate communications for the retailer.
Abercrombie issued a press release on the decision December 9, but didn't actively call media or hold a press conference to discuss it, he said. Nonetheless, the announcement received widespread coverage in such outlets as The New York Times, USA Today, and CNN.
Over the years the catalog has incited protests because of its suggestive content. Abercrombie also took heat from a recent 60 Minutes report that it was reducing the hours of less attractive salespeople. Lennox said the retailer did not plan a response to that report.
Abercrombie has roughly 700 stores, including some under the Hollister brand.