Survey finds rise in money spent on digital marketing

PALO ALTO, CA: More companies are using digital marketing, including internet PR, to build brand awareness and recognition. That is one of the key findings in a new study by marketing technology company Responsys and co-sponsored by the CMO Council, a networking organization of technology CMOs.

PALO ALTO, CA: More companies are using digital marketing, including internet PR, to build brand awareness and recognition. That is one of the key findings in a new study by marketing technology company Responsys and co-sponsored by the CMO Council, a networking organization of technology CMOs.

"One of the biggest surprises is that the number-two use of digital marketing is brand awareness" after new customer lead generation, said Responsys VP of marketing Kathy Gogan. More than 70% of the 400 executives queried said brand awareness is a key use for digital marketing.

Other key findings relevant to PR were that 41% of respondents consider internet PR and content syndication part of their overall digital marketing mix. And 29% said their companies were using digital marketing for competitive communications and messaging.

"We found that digital marketing is rising in importance, and companies are more willing to spend more money here, because of the lower cost of implementation, speed of delivery, and measurable ROI," said Gogan.

The survey found that b-to-c firms such as Amazon, eBay, and online travel companies fared much better in their use of digital marketing. Gogan said those companies have done a better job of using digital marketing to create a more personalized experience for users. Many b-to-b companies, however, still used digital marketing for mostly informational purposes, instead of creating a personalized dialogue with customers.

"There are so many ways |people can communicate, and they are getting hit with a lot of different marketing messages," says Gogan. "We need to look at how to make those messages more personalized and important to the people receiving them."

Of the 400 executives polled, 30% were CEOs, and the other 70% were directors of marketing or higher.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Would you like to post a comment?

Please Sign in or register.