Initial media reaction to Gov. James McGreevey's (D-NJ) August 12 announcement that he had engaged in a homosexual affair and would resign was mostly sympathetic.
But in the days following the announcement, the media became critical of him for what many felt were the real reasons behind his decision - a corrupt and scandal-ridden administration. Whether true or not, his legacy may now forever be that of just another self-indulgent politician putting his interests ahead of those of the public.
Most frequent messages
1. McGreevey's resignation was to hide corruption/ harassment case
2. Golan Cipel was unqualified for his post
3. McGreevey put personal interests ahead of public interest
4. McGreevey is trying to block an election to replace him
5. There have been previous scandals associated with McGreevey
Based on analysis of 37 articles appearing in the top 40 US dailies from August 13-18, 2004
Evaluation and analysis by Delahaye Medialink