It's been 10 years since cofounders Jerry Yang and David Filo, two doctoral students from Stanford, turned a hobby into a full-time job.
On March 2, Yahoo, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary, garnered national press by offering registered users an online coupon for a free scoop of ice cream from Baskin-Robbins. According to the AP, Yahoo's creators separated themselves from the rest of the dot-com crowd with their desire to create a profitable business as quickly as possible - a contrarian concept in the days of economic delirium.
Most frequent messages
1. Yahoo has grown to more than 7,600 staffers with an audience of 345 million per month
1. Anniversary celebration invited users to download a scoop of free ice cream
1. Secret to Yahoo's success was creating a profitable business model early
1. Cofounders Yang and Filo became billionaires early but stuck around as Yahoo chiefs
1. "Work hard, play hard" culture remains intact
Based on 30 media articles from Feb. 25-March 3
Evaluation and analysis by Cymfony