Ford defends closure announcement against criticism of 'disgraceful' handling

Ford's news team has defended its media handling of its factory closure announcement, which has been dubbed 'disgraceful'.

Ford: announced plant closures
Ford: announced plant closures

Car manufacturer Ford announced plans yesterday to close two UK plants with the loss of 1,400 jobs.

Its Transit van factory in Southampton will close, as will the stamping plant in Dagenham, east London, with union sources saying job losses could reach 2,000.

The announcement followed days of speculation about Ford’s plans for the Southampton site, after the company called an extraordinary meeting of union officials on Wednesday morning.

The general secretary of the union Unite, Len McCluskey, said the announcement by Ford had been handled ‘disgracefully’.

Press Association industrial editor Alan Jones told PRWeek that the media handling ‘generated two days of bad news instead of one’.

‘The company gave details on Wednesday of a plant closure in Belgium and said more information of its plans would be unveiled on Thursday,’ said Jones. ‘This led to what turned out to be well-informed speculation that the Transit van site in Southampton would shut, which must have been desperately worrying for the workers.

‘Unions have long complained that workers often hear that they are losing their jobs from media reports before being told by their management, and this was another classic case.’

Another industry observer who declined to be named added: ‘Once the horse bolted earlier in their week, Ford decided to keep the door shut. I doubt a comms adviser would have agreed to that.’

However, Ford media team product manager Oliver Rowe defended the media handling around the announcement, telling PRWeek: ‘When you have got employee representatives, it’s absolutely right that they should be briefed first. People read a lot into the invitations going out and in the time before Ford can talk officially to the media, you’ve got a space when the media will choose to report on the unofficial news.’

Rowe added: ‘You do have a limbo period, but also a complex and extensive rollout plan.' He added that the extra dimension of social media made it harder for such announcements to be held back.

Ford’s media announcement was timed to coincide with the opening of the Wall Street Stock Exchange yesterday. Following Ford’s official announcement to the media, it embarked on conference calls for analysts and the media.

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Latest Articles

John Lewis to tell brand story with "tasteful" 150th anniversary celebrations

John Lewis to tell brand story with "tasteful" 150th anniversary celebrations

Department store John Lewis is to use its 150th anniversary this year to talk about its history, which "not enough people know about", according to director of communications Peter Cross.

Labour hires Obama election strategist David Axelrod to fight General Election

Labour hires Obama election strategist David Axelrod to fight General Election

The man who helped Barack Obama win the 2008 and 2012 US presidential elections is to work for Labour along with members of his team.

Sky adds Fever PR to its roster after splitting with Cake

Sky adds Fever PR to its roster after splitting with Cake

Pay-TV giant Sky has added Fever PR to its agency line-up for a wide-ranging brief covering products and services.

Max Clifford trial jury to continue deliberations after Easter break

Max Clifford trial jury to continue deliberations after Easter break

The jury in the trial of celebrity publicist Max Clifford has been sent home for Easter and will reconvene on Tuesday for further deliberations about its verdicts on 11 charges of indecent assault.

Home Office brings in Munro & Forster to campaign against FGM

Home Office brings in Munro & Forster to campaign against FGM

The Home Office has tasked Munro & Forster (M&F) with supporting its campaign to eradicate female genital mutilation (FGM) as part of a wider retained brief.