Brown Lloyd James statement accuses Hugh Grant of 'smears' against Mail on Sunday

Brown Lloyd James is pushing out media statements on behalf of the Mail on Sunday dubbing allegations of phone-hacking 'mendacious smears'.

Mail on Sunday: has Brown Lloyd James handling its comms
Mail on Sunday: has Brown Lloyd James handling its comms
In the Leveson Inquiry yesterday, actor Hugh Grant suggested that his phone may have been hacked by the Mail on Sunday.

Grant told Lord Justice Leveson about a ‘bizarre, left-field’ story about him, which featured in the newspaper in February 2007.

Brown Lloyd James, which has been on the books of Associated Newspapers – owner of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday – for 11 years, was briefed to handle comms around the Leveson Inquiry last week.

Brown Lloyd James partner Sir Nicholas Lloyd said: ‘We’re acting as advisers, giving advice where appropriate, and disseminating statements. You don’t have to have any evidence to say anything in the inquiry, so it’s important we try to respond to comments.’

Lloyd added that this was ‘all part of the normal service’ for the client and that they expected to continue issuing statements on behalf of the Mail on Sunday throughout the inquiry.

The agency issued a statement yesterday afternoon which ‘utterly refuted’ Grant’s claim.

The statement read: ‘In fact, in the case of the story Mr Grant refers to, the information came from a freelance journalist who had been told by a source who was regularly speaking to Jemima Khan. Mr Grant’s allegations are mendacious smears driven by his hatred of the media.’

Brown Lloyd James also works for The Metro as part of the account held with Associated Newspapers.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register
Already registered?
Sign in

Would you like to post a comment?

Please Sign in or register.