PROs back LOCOG as Olympic body comes under fire for ticketing system

As LOCOG faces media and public criticism that the Olympic ticketing system favoured the wealthy, PROs have defended the Olympic organising body.

Olympic stadium: computerised image
Olympic stadium: computerised image

 

A spokesman from LOCOG said: ‘We completely understand the disappointment if people have missed out on tickets - but with 1.8 people applying for over 20 million tickets when around 6 million tickets were available there was always going to be some disappointment. We believe that our process was the only fair way to ensure people had an equal chance of applying.'

One million people who applied for tickets were unsuccessful, leaving many questioning whether the ballot system favoured the wealthy who could afford to over-bid.

But Braben PR director James Matheson insisted: ‘The ballot is probably the fairest way of doing it, so I think the way they promoted that was well executed. Where there’s been enormous confusion and where they haven’t done a great job is post-ballot.’

Those who applied for tickets initially will now be offered a second chance to bid for any remaining tickets.

The second-round ballot is only open to those who were unsuccessful in the first round and will take place either in June or July. All applicants will be directly notified by 24 June.

Founder of VIVA PR Tony Garner said: ‘I am sure that while publicly they can’t say so, they are secretly relieved and delighted that demand has outstripped supply. If it had been the other way around then the comms team would have had a far bigger job on their hands.’

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Latest Articles

John Lewis to tell brand story with "tasteful" 150th anniversary celebrations

John Lewis to tell brand story with "tasteful" 150th anniversary celebrations

Department store John Lewis is to use its 150th anniversary this year to talk about its history, which "not enough people know about", according to director of communications Peter Cross.

Labour hires Obama election strategist David Axelrod to fight General Election

Labour hires Obama election strategist David Axelrod to fight General Election

The man who helped Barack Obama win the 2008 and 2012 US presidential elections is to work for Labour along with members of his team.

Sky adds Fever PR to its roster after splitting with Cake

Sky adds Fever PR to its roster after splitting with Cake

Pay-TV giant Sky has added Fever PR to its agency line-up for a wide-ranging brief covering products and services.

Max Clifford trial jury to continue deliberations after Easter break

Max Clifford trial jury to continue deliberations after Easter break

The jury in the trial of celebrity publicist Max Clifford has been sent home for Easter and will reconvene on Tuesday for further deliberations about its verdicts on 11 charges of indecent assault.

Home Office brings in Munro & Forster to campaign against FGM

Home Office brings in Munro & Forster to campaign against FGM

The Home Office has tasked Munro & Forster (M&F) with supporting its campaign to eradicate female genital mutilation (FGM) as part of a wider retained brief.