Local government cuts could boost agency opportunities long-term, observers predict

With local government expecting the worst cuts to funding since the end of the Second World War, the cutbacks may eventually increase opportunities for agencies, according to one senior industry practitioner.

Communities minister: Eric Pickles
Communities minister: Eric Pickles

According to the London School of Economics, local councils can expect a reduction in their funding of as much as 15% in real terms and this could mean 140,000 job losses in the sector over the next two years.

The Times reports this morning 30% of these losses will be frontline services with the remaining 70% affecting back office staff.

Carole Scott, director at Bottle PR, told PRWeek: ‘It seems likely that in-house communications departments will be cut. Trimming fat is one thing but if 'The Big Society' is to take shape, then local authorities will need to develop effective communications; how can charities and community groups do more if local government isn’t able to talk to and with them?’
 
She added: ‘The cuts are likely to affect PR agencies in two ways. Money for projects and campaigns run by agencies will probably disappear quickly. But in the medium term we could see reduced in-house teams turning to agencies to deliver core programmes that in the past would have been handled by their own staff.’

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles is pushing for power to be taken from Whitehall and given to local community associations, so they can shape their communities by taking control of redundant bars, schools and post offices, in a similar neighbourhood planning model to that of Germany.

The news comes only weeks after PRWeek revealed the coalition Government spent £1.98m on PR consultancies since it came to power in May.

It is understood that a number of councils have already moved their comms departments into shared services functions, but the Local Government Association declined to comment until the individual budget settlements have been assigned to councils later today.

An LGA spokeswoman said: 'We are in the same position we were at after the comprehensive spending review, but we know this will be a tough financial settlement for local Government.'

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Latest Articles

Max Clifford trial jury finishes sixth day of deliberations

Max Clifford trial jury finishes sixth day of deliberations

The jury in the trial of celebrity publicist Max Clifford on 11 charges of indecent assault has been sent home and will reconvene tomorrow morning for a seventh day of deliberations.

Analysis: Fishburn chiefs keep eyes on future despite mounting departures

Analysis: Fishburn chiefs keep eyes on future despite mounting departures

Fishburn's management have defended their reinvention of the 23-year-old agency amid industry mutterings, fed by a series of director-level departures, about the direction in which it is going.

Hit or Miss? EasyJet backs Shakespeare Day campaign with world record attempt

Hit or Miss? EasyJet backs Shakespeare Day campaign with world record attempt

EasyJet aimed to break the world record for the highest ever theatrical performance for Shakespeare's 450th birthday yesterday with the Reduced Shakespeare Company performing on a flight from Gatwick to Verona.

Top PRs to gather in Barcelona for inaugural PRWeek Global Congress

Top PRs to gather in Barcelona for inaugural PRWeek Global Congress

Senior executives from IBM, Nestlé, Vedanta, GE, Cargill, Philips and Allianz will be among the speakers at PRWeek's first Global Congress.